Last Thoughts (the Friday edition), Photography, Travel

Last Thoughts: Movement (The WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge)

20120706-174050.jpg

The U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels perform at the Boston-Portsmouth Air Show in Portsmouth, NH (click on the photograph to see a larger, clearer version) – © 2012 Karina Chapman

“Every man is a creative cause of what happens, a primum mobile with an original movement.” – Friedrich Nietzsche

As always, the Friday Edition combines a quote with a favorite photo. I tailor these to the WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge theme, which this week is “Movement”.

Last weekend, on our way back from the meditation retreat in the Catskills, my friend Anne and I stopped at the McDonald’s in Portsmouth, NH for a snack. After we came out, I was helping a lost tourist find his way to his hotel when we were literally buzzed by four of the U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels in their famous tight diamond formation.

WOW!

I was so excited that I’m afraid I screamed, and startled the tourist. I laughingly explained that my family is all military, so these sorts of things really excite me.

Sadly, I hadn’t brought my good camera with me. However, the Blue Angels, who were performing up the road at the former Pease AFB were moving so fast, and they are SO good at sneaking up from behind, that I probably wouldn’t have gotten that great of a shot anyway. About the time we heard them, they were overhead and then gone again.

They were FANTASTIC.

I luckily got a couple short videos, and this photograph. Yes they’re tiny, but I love the contrast with the sun, gleaming brightly through the clouds.

Oh…and yes, the tourist did get his directions. I’m assuming he made it to his hotel.

Aloha!

About these ads

26 thoughts on “Last Thoughts: Movement (The WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge)

1. Great photo.

Posted by Northern Narratives | July 6, 2012, 8:35 pm
  2. Even without the long-range lens, still a very nice shot!

Posted by Lola Jane | July 6, 2012, 8:56 pm
  3. This is so awesome!!! :D

Posted by fiztrainer | July 6, 2012, 9:34 pm
  4. This is the most marvellous ‘movement photo’ I’ve seen so far! Terrific !

Posted by reb | July 6, 2012, 9:40 pm
  5. Very cool shot Karina. I have yet to see the Blue Angels perform. I saw the Thunderbird several times while I was stationed at Pease, but the one time the Angels were there it rained :-(

Now, after having been able to walk from the barracks to the flight line, with no parking and traffic nightmares, all for free, I don’t think I could ever pay for it.

Posted by Jeff Sinon | July 6, 2012, 9:46 pm
    • I used to watch them in San Francisco during fleet week. They are amazing.

I wonder how much they make you pay? I know what you mean–it hurts to pay for something you used to always do for nothing!

Posted by AlohaKarina | July 7, 2012, 9:10 am
      • I believe it’s $20+ with parking on top of that! I have to admit that I have looked into the “early bird” photo pass they offer. Gets you in to photograph the static displays before they open the gates.

Posted by Jeff Sinon | July 7, 2012, 9:16 am
      • Oh wow. Not inexpensive…

Early bird, eh? I wonder if they let you keep your early-bird vantage point for the Blue Angels?

I need to look up who’s going to be on for next year–Thunderbirds or Blue Angels again. I like the T-birds but the Angels are my favorites. They used to buzz the City in SF, and then-mayor Feinstein pitched a fit about it but then had to relent–people loved them too much to appreciate her trying to stop them from doing it. :)

Posted by AlohaKarina | July 7, 2012, 9:20 am
      • Trying not to be too political, but they don’t come much more far left and anti military than good ole Dianne :-D

Posted by Jeff Sinon | July 7, 2012, 9:24 am
      • Oh no, that was the running joke. They did a great radio parody of it–it started with her refusing to let them fly over the city, and so they take her up in an Angel…and all you hear is “whoooosh….aiiieeee! okay okay okay okay!” It was hysterical!

Posted by AlohaKarina | July 7, 2012, 6:42 pm
  6. I love this photo.

Posted by ginamkd | July 7, 2012, 3:45 am
  7. Awesome shot!

Posted by Madelaine | July 7, 2012, 9:55 am
  8. This is a wonderful, dynamic capture – I really love it! :-)

Posted by The Retiring Sort | July 7, 2012, 1:08 pm
  9. What a great shot!! So glad you managed to catch them!
    The Blue Angels sound like a version of our Snowbirds – the air show at the Canadian National Exhibition each Labour Day with them as the final performers is the true sign that summer is over and school is about to begin.

Posted by lostinagreatbook | July 8, 2012, 8:41 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Movement « Simple Photos of Everyday Life - July 6, 2012

2. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Movement « Ruth E Hendricks Photography - July 7, 2012

3. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: MOVEMENT | Serendipity - July 7, 2012

4. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Movement- How to clean your lizard « Ben Williams' World - July 8, 2012

5. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Movement | Wind Against Current - July 9, 2012